I’m calling it. Hamsters are not the pet for me. Here’s why:
- Hamsters are nocturnal, so really not awake and fun when humans are awake and wanting to play with hamsters.
- Hamsters have little personality due to their little brains.
- Hamsters are bitey, with no ability to learn not to bite.
- Hamsters are small and can easily escape to become short lived cat toys.
In particular, I’m starting to think our hamster Lula is not the pet for me because:
- She is a zombie, and I’ve never really trusted her since the hamster zombie apocalypse.
- She is now growing a hamster tumor growth thing out her butt, which is probably not related to the zombie thing, but who knows.
Really, that last one is throwing me over the edge right now. I’m a pet owner who goes way above and beyond to care for animals. Some might say I go too far, and they might be right. However, this hamster pet cannot really be cared for. The vet will see her, but the normal $120 vet charge will apply and while they could do hamster tumor removal or hamster chemo on Lula she was only a $60 pet to start with (including her cage) and she’s well toward the end of her expected lifespan. And when I consider taking her to the vet even I can’t justify it. I’m sure they’d perform hamster euthanasia if I really wanted them too, but she doesn’t really seem to be unhappy. She just looks gross and can’t run on her wheel anymore because there’s this thing growing between her legs. So I just watch her waddle around drinking water from her drippy straw thing and digging for peanuts in her hamster chow while her tumor and my guilt grow.
I hate hamsters. They are not the pet for me.